Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Housekeeping!

This morning, my mom paid for two housekeepers to come and clean our house.  We typically clean the house ourselves but every now and then my mom likes to have everything look especially nice and, as long as she can afford it, will hire someone to help us out.  Naturally, my mom had to work this morning, my dad had an all-day business meeting and my siblings are gone so I am the one left at home to direct the two women, both of whom don't speak a lick of English.

The language barrier doesn't bother me and I normally wouldn't mind "housekeeper sitting", especially since these two ladies in particular seem very nice, but our house is different from other houses that hire housekeepers.  Our house is a HOME in the sense that stuff is not neatly showcased but rather piled haphazardly ALL OVER the place.  I understand that most housekeepers go around wiping down coffee tables, vacuuming carpet, and dusting bookshelves.  Our housekeepers do that too but must first remove the layer of papers, old toys, souvenirs, and cat vomit covering everything in the house!  Truth be told, it's a wee bit awkward to be around the ladies who are clearly so overwhelmed by the task ahead of them (and rightfully so)!

Anyway, I've tried to help out as much as possible but need to be getting back to my own work.  I've set aside both today and tomorrow to begin the deferment process for all of my college loans, a task I've been dreading!  Perhaps, though, I can find inspiration from the housekeepers.  If they can overcome the jumble of piles and mismatched artifacts in my home without complaining (at least not in a language I understand) then I too can overcome my own pile of crud, that is the deferment process!  Let's all get to work!

Checklist                                                          TW

1 comment: